Just read the article from Wall Street Journal telling Microsoft they should get a CIO for their next CEO. I think Thompson needs some tips. After reading that I saw there must be some room for giving Microsoft some more advice. Here’s some tips for the board and hiring crew.
1. They have to be a Technical Genius. NO SALES types! We want an Architect who understands where we’ve been and where we’re going. She must be able to articulate in both technical and business terms the value of what Microsoft builds. I think CIO as Wall Street Journal suggests is a bit too much. Architect, not too much geek.
2. They must be a real Visionary Genius. He must be able to lead the company and groups and provide feedback and direction when groups struggle. This also means making hard decisions for strategy sake.
3. PERSONALITY is key, they must be Likeable and Social. They will be the face of the company and both the world and Wall Street will be looking for interactions that sell them.
4. Microsoft BLOOD – Fit the legacy. I worry about anyone that gets hired that doesn’t understand and believe in the great Microsoft legacy. The former MS Generals should be given extra points. Stephen Elop, Jeff Raikes, Chris Capposella are a few examples and my personal favorites.
5. No one has more PASSION for technology than Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer, (did you the video of his touching last speech at the company meeting), but to fill the shoes, the passion must run very very deep. It isn’t required to do high 5 laps at the company meeting, but the employees must believe in the vision and picture, and so must the customers. Passion is the key piece to choosing the next CEO or leader of the free world.