Unauthorized Employee Access and Information Leakage Cited as Top Challenges to Securing Content in On-Premises SharePoint
On December 10, CipherPoint™, a data security provider for on-premises and cloud file sharing and collaboration systems, revealed the findings of its first State of Collaboration Security Report highlighting security issues with collaboration platforms such as Microsoft SharePoint, SharePoint Online, Office 365 and file servers. According to the report, security and compliance requirements are the primary issues preventing organizations from moving their critical content to the cloud. Unauthorized employee access and information leakage are noted as the biggest concerns for on-premises SharePoint deployments.
The CipherPoint report was based on a survey of over 100 IT professionals and SharePoint administrators and architects over a 45-day period between September and October 2013.
Key findings include:
- 63 percent of respondents noted that security and compliance requirements are holding back adoption of Office 365 and SharePoint Online.
- Nearly 80 percent of Office 365/SharePoint Online users stated that they have never scanned these cloud collaboration repositories for sensitive or regulated data. In addition, nearly 50 percent of file server and on-premises SharePoint users have never scanned their collaboration sites. This suggests that large percentages of users of these platforms have no idea how much content security risk is present in their collaboration systems.
- According to the survey, 27 percent of respondents are less likely to move to a cloud service due to the fallout from the Edward Snowden breaches and fear of compromising data.
- For SharePoint on-premise, the top two threats cited to data were unauthorized employee access to confidential information (80 percent), and information leakage (74 percent).
- Actual security breaches in SharePoint on-premise are a fairly common occurrence, with 26 percent of respondents indicating they experienced between one and three breaches in the past 12 months. However, the percentages go down as the number of breaches increase, as 5 percent noted between four and six breaches and 2 percent indicated between seven and nine breaches over the last year.
“With more organizations moving sensitive and regulated data to on-premises and cloud collaboration and file sharing platforms, data security is the critical issue. However, the results of our survey show that the adoption of cloud collaboration platforms such as SharePoint Online and Office 365 will continue to stall due to security concerns,” said Mike Fleck, CEO, CipherPoint. “Before moving to SharePoint or the cloud, customers must ensure that they have the technology and processes in place to keep control of their sensitive data.”
For additional information on CipherPoint and to download a copy of the full report, please visit: CipherPoint 2013 State of Collaboration Security Report.
The CipherPoint Eclipse Data Security Suite includes:
- CipherPoint Eclipse Data Security Console – a central security management console for file servers, SharePoint sites and SharePoint Online/Office 365, enabling identification, encryption, access control, audit, and reporting for sensitive and regulated data.
- CipherPoint Eclipse for SharePoint – provides transparent encryption, access control, and activity logging for data in SharePoint 2007, SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint 2013 servers.
- CipherPoint Eclipse for File Servers – provides transparent encryption, access control, and activity logging for data in file servers.
- CipherPoint Eclipse™ for SharePoint Online and Office365 –data security solution for cloud collaboration platforms.
For more information on the CipherPoint Eclipse Data Security Suite, please visit: http://www.cipherpoint.com/data-security/
About CipherPoint Software, Inc.
CipherPoint identifies, encrypts, and controls and audits access to sensitive and regulated data on-premises and in cloud file sharing and collaboration systems. CipherPoint’s solution is unique in preventing privileged IT administrators and outside attackers that target IT-level access from accessing sensitive information. The CipherPoint Eclipse solution suite secures data across file servers, on-premises SharePoint, SharePoint Online/Office365 and other cloud collaboration systems from a central data security console. CipherPoint’s products are easy to deploy and manage, and scalable to meet the needs of large enterprises.
A winner of the SINET 16 award as a top security company in 2012, CipherPoint is headquartered in Denver, Colorado, and was founded by IT security experts with deep experience in building successful security technology companies. Customers in healthcare, financial services, manufacturing, government, and other industries, in Europe, North America, and Asia rely on CipherPoint to protect access to sensitive and regulated information. Contact CipherPoint at email@example.com or at +1-888-657-5355.
CipherPoint Software, Inc., 1730 Blake St., Suite 400, Denver, CO 80202
@CipherPointSW (888) 657.5355 firstname.lastname@example.org